The idea was born at one of our events when one person brainstormed the idea of society members (aka “chefs”) cooking for an event! So, a special thank you to the 8 chefs who showcased their culinary talents, and selected a wine varietal to pair with their creation. Here is a recap:
- Bridget Bersell, mushroom brie bites with 2013 Market Vineyards Benchmark Merlot
- David Harris, pork pistachio paté with 2014 Barnard Griffin Côtes du Rôb
- Dolly Ammann, shrimp appetizer with 2015 Barnard Griffin Fumé Blanc
- Mila Townsend, Russian vinaigrette beet salad with 2016 Rosé of Pinot Noir, Mt. Tabor Fine Wines
- Phil Townsend, Greek pork loin with 2014 Longship Cellars Tempranillo
- Maryna Hartley, Russian pelmini (meat-stuffed dumpling) with 2013 Kiona Vineyards and Winery Red Mountain Sangiovese
- Brian Pennella, baby-back ribs with 2014 Hightower Cellars Red Murray Syrah
- Kurt Ammann, “Zuger Kirschtorte” (cherry brandy torte) with Mionetto Brut Prosecco
Most enjoyed the food/wine pairings. The favorite pairings were the mushrooms and Merlot followed by the ribs and Syrah; but in the words of Coke Roth (Northwest Wine Press,” Fall 2017), “Wine pairing is best considered not as a wine and food pairing, but as wine and occasion pairing, or wine and mood pairing.” This description fits this occasion.
The event was sold out and we’re sorry we could not accommodate those on the waiting list. From comments – look for a repeat in a year or 2, and then, sign up early!