Our speakers, Roger Mackey and Billo Naravane, were a dynamic duo. Each told very interesting stories about how they got into the wine business.
Billo, who owns Rasa Vineyards with his brother, Pinto, is the winemaker for both Mackey and Rasa Vineyards. Billo was a hard-charging, computer-industry professional who got burned out and decided to follow his passion for wine. He went to U.C. Davis to learn how to make wine. Billo and Pinto launched Rasa Vineyards in 2007 with the goal of producing ultra-premium, terroir-driven wines.
Roger and his brother Philip took off their business suits and bought a vineyard in 2007 in the southeast section of the Walla Walla Valley where the rocky soils resemble those of Bordeaux. Their goal was to produce French-style wines. They only use French oak barrels for aging wine.
Here are some of the comments from society members that sum up the tasting:
- Good Food! The wine-and-food pairings were excellent.
- The commentary from the 2 winemakers was superb.
- This was by far the most informative tasting/pairing we attended. Excellent presentation!
- This was one of my favorite events.
- Totally great job!
- The wines were wonderful!